Preventative Products in Corpus Christi
We all want to retain our natural teeth for as long as possible and to enjoy a smile that is healthy and attractive. To do this we need to take proactive steps to look after our teeth. One key element of good health care is to ensure that you attend all of your recommended dental check-ups. This is because, whenever you visit your dentist, you are actively participating in preventive dentistry.
What is preventive dentistry?
Preventive dentistry refers to education and commitment to a robust oral hygiene routine with the aim of maintaining healthy teeth and gums for as long as possible.
It also includes undertaking any recommended restorative treatments that are designed specifically to help retain the function of your natural teeth and ensure your gums remain in good condition.
Gums are responsible for keeping our teeth in place and protecting the roots of our teeth from debris and bacteria. Unfortunately, gum health, also known as periodontal care, is an aspect often overlooked by patients who fail to realize its importance.
Every time Dr. Boss performs a routine check-up, he is checking your teeth and mouth for signs of decay, damage or any other potential problem, such as periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is an extremely common condition whereby the plaque that is usually found on the teeth begins to irritate and inflame the gums.
Eventually, this can lead to infection of the soft tissue and even the jaw bone, putting the patient at serious risk of losing one or more teeth.
Early identification of any type of dental problem is essential if you are to receive prompt treatment, which can help prevent the issue from worsening and threatening the viability of your teeth.
Restorative dental treatments
There are a number of dental treatments that are classed as “restorative”. This is because they are used to restore the natural function of your teeth. However, they also prevent further damage and decay. If Dr. Boss believes that your teeth or gums have been adversely affected in any way, he may recommend any of the following restorative treatments to extend the life of your regular teeth.
- Dental sealants
- Porcelain veneers
- Crown lengthening
- Root canal therapy
- Bone grafting
- Orthodontic treatments
- Dental devices
If Dr. Boss recommends any of the above treatments, they will be discussed with you in greater detail.
In addition to professional treatment, Dr. Boss may also recommend that you use certain preventive products. Again, these will support your oral health and help you to retain your natural teeth as long as possible and may include:
- Fluoride varnish. Fluoride varnish is a highly concentrated form of fluoride which is applied to the surface of the teeth every six months, which helps to protect it from decay. It is usually only available via your dentist, who must paint it on for you.
- Fluoride toothpaste and mouth rinse. These are prescribed for adults and children aged eight or older and again and ramp up the tooth-strengthening fluoride which will help prevent decay. Contrary to popular belief, you shouldn’t use the mouthwash straight after brushing, as this will actually wash away the fluoride from the toothpaste. Instead use it mid-way through the day, such as after lunch.
- Interdental brushes. These clean in between your teeth and many people find that they are easier to use and more effective than floss at clearing bacteria out and helping to prevent decay.
- Electric toothbrush. Studies have shown that electric toothbrushes with an oscillating action are much better at removing plaque than manual toothbrushes. This can help prevent decay from forming.
- Dental sealant. If you are particularly at risk of dental decay, you may be recommended to consider a dental sealant. This is a resin that is pasted onto your teeth and then hardened, which will provide an additional protective layer. This is a service provided by many dentists, including our professional dental practitioner, Dr. Boss.
If you would like to know more about preventive care or preventive products, our knowledgeable team would be delighted to answer your questions. Call Boss Dental Care today at 361-245-5400 to learn more.
Boss Dental Care
Address: 801 Everhart Rd, Corpus Christi, TX 78411